Wednesday 7 August 2013

August

August is a dead month in the art world. It's when many art professionals take off for holiday and take a break from art too.  Not so, many artists. When the art schools close for summer break and many of the galleries too, that's the time for artists to press on with their work in their studios. I'm enjoying seeing so many artists around me in the fire station studios where I paint. At other times of the year, it is often nearly deserted. I do like that sense of community which comes with a more populated work environment.

And with Acme celebrating their 40th anniversary this year (they are my landlords), it's also a time for their studio tenants to show what they're doing. In September there's an archive show of Acme's first ten years as an arts organization entitled Supporting Artists: Acme's First Decade 1972-1982 at Whitechapel Art Gallery, London that runs from 7 September 2013 - 23 February 2014. In October there's a show called: 'Postcards from my Studio' at Acme Project Space, London. This is an invitation exhibition by Acme artists which gathers together responses to the life and experience of the studio. I've already made my postcard for the show and sent it in, so can't wait to see everyone else's.

This month I'll be visiting a couple of shows. Ian Dury's 'More than Fair' at the Royal College of Art is one that I backed for their Kickstarter campaign so I definitely feel a sense of inclusion because I helped to make it happen.


Another show I am very keen to see is 'The Alternative Guide to the Universe', an exhibition at the Hayward Gallery that runs until 26th August 2013 and features the wonderful 'Museum of Everything'. I've never once not enjoyed the South Bank Centre. August is shaping up very nicely thank you!


No comments: