Saturday 3 May 2014

Swindon Art Gallery

'Drift', Acrylic on canvas
© Julie Umerle

Last week in my studio, I wrapped this painting up in polythene to protect it on its journey. On Tuesday it is being delivered to Swindon Art Gallery to become part of their permanent collection. Very exciting.

The collection has a reputation as one of the best of British 20th Century Art outside London and includes significant artists such as Lucian Freud, Henry Moore, Ben Nicholson, Lisa Milroy and Richard Hamilton. I am extremely proud to have my work placed alongside such distinguished artists.

With mixed feeling I shall watch as the painting leaves my studio - it already  feels like part of my family. But it is wonderful to know it is going to a good home and will be well looked after, and I know that many visitors will get to see my painting there over the coming years. And that surely is the point of making work.

It will first be seen at the gallery in early 2015 as part of a group exhibition called 'Present Tense'. I will post more details about the show nearer the time, so stay tuned!



No comments: